Posted by : Karen Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Over the last few weekends we've managed to squeeze in a couple of family outings in spite of the *crazy* season we are in (trips to Zimbabwe, boys back to back birthdays, planning Cape Explorers, moving into a new season without a maid, trips to the UK - whew!).

One of my upcoming cape Explorer outings is to a cave we have often walked to, but not recently enough for me to be sure my littlest Explorers would cope. So off we set to explore Peers Cave on Skildergat Ridge.




To get there is simple. Park your car just off Ou Kaapse Weg (the little car park is on your left hand side after the Silvermine Road to Noordhoek). We have never experienced any problems there, but folk have mentioned to me their cars were broken into there so just be aware.

It is a lovely flat sandy path...



with stunning flowers showing us the way...


Aragorn thought this rock looked like a rhino....


 beautiful examples of plant succession.....


 ...and examples of mechanical weathering...


...fun for the little ones to examine the creepy crawlies (and be awed by the color of their blood after accidentally squashing them - eugh!)

 
We made it to the cave we always get to...


but then it dawned on me that I had seen descriptions of other caves along this very ridge. So this time, we explored further and deeper and found Tunnel Cave. I was thrilled! I often see this cave as I drive in the valley and was overjoyed to have made it!



 Dad and the kids had fun seeing how far they could throw stones (whilst mom stayed clear of the drop off!)


After returning home to write the Living Letter for CE, it struck me that I still hadn't yet reached the right cave. The descriptions I had read did not match the caves we had been in. So two weekends later, off we set again, this time from the Fishoek Valley side. Park behind the sports facilities at the Silvergaldes Sports Fields (our car felt even more exposed and vulnerable here on the Sunday afternoon we went than on busy Ou Kaapse Weg).


Now, this walk is much prettier than the other way, and we were amazed by how stunning it was...however, it is MUCH more taxing. My kids are seasoned explorers, and they struggled up the steep hillside, as did Braveheart and myself who clearly are not as fit as we were at the beginning of winter!



 The dunes were our children's highlight, and we spend a good chunk of time playing on them after our descent. I think we'll be spending more time there this summer...



And finally we found the cave I'd read about...


Peers Cave




Are you wondering what on earth King Arthur is doing?



Ha and his brother got completely drenched trying to catch run-off drops from the roof of the cave into their mouths!




What fun! This is a lovely walk (from the Ou Kaapse Weg side) for a family outing, and you can reach Peers Cave - just press on after Tunnel Cave! I'd recommend a good two hours there and back (allowing for a picnic and much exploration!).

I don't recommend the other route with young children (under 7's).

Enjoy exploring!










- Copyright © Karen's Clan - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -